You can make the International Year of Engagement happen!
Did you know IAP2 has the opportunity to call for 2020 to be declared the International Year of Engagement by the United Nations?
We need your help now to make it happen and it is as simple as taking one minute right now (it won't cost you a cent) to show your support at www.yearofengagement.com
Please act now as we may not get this opportunity again.
IAP2 is delighted to be partnering with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) to build an Assessment and Planning Tool for Engagement. This is building on the partnership between UNESCAP and IAP2, that was formalised in 2016, to advance the practice of engagement and help us all work to the achievement of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, and in particular build inclusive and engaging societies as part of these goals.
The opportunity to call for an International Year of Engagement is the result of a number of factors coming together to create an opportunity. One of these is the strong connection between engagement and the achievement of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This is well recognised by UNESCAP and after a period of courtship (and building understanding of the protocols and policies around these things). Another factor is our partnership with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP).
IAP2 is preparing a proposal to the UN calling for An International Year of Engagement. And now, we are asking you to pledge your support to a call for an International Year of Engagement by the end of October this year.
The proposal to dedicate a whole year as a focus on engagement will highlight the importance of hearing from all voices ensuring no-one is left behind.
It is incredibly easy and quick to lend your support. It is free. It shows your commitment to public participation. And anyone can pledge their support, whether you are an individual or an organisation.
Immediate benefits of pledging are:
- Acknowledgement in a proposal document to the United Nations
- A statement to use in your organisation’s Sustainability Report
- A copy of the Year of Engagement logo to share on your social media, webpage or email signature
- Facebook frame showing you support a Year of Engagement
And, should we be successful, then the long term benefits would promote action on three fronts:
1. Build awareness and focus attention on an enabling environment for engagement and public participation – for e.g. legislation, institutional mandates, education;
2. Build capacity for engagement, benefitting from proven methods; and
3. Mobilise engagement and public participation to support the 2030 Agenda and achievement of the SDGs.
This is our opportunity. It might not come again. Let’s seize it together with a call for an International Year of Engagement.
Simply fill in the short form at www.yearofengagement.com